Re: [Xen-devel] Microsoft plans 'hypervisor' for Longhorn

> I had a look at some of their developer docs and they were IA-32
> specific. I don't think Apple has a VMM plan at the moment, and I don't
> think they care too much about running Windows apps as they would fear
> that the presence of good Windows emulation would reduce the number of
> native apps for their system.

Yes, I agree - I guess they might well avoid VMMs for that reason, at least
for the time being.  I wonder if perhaps VMWare is considering a port though
- it'd certainly make some sense for them now.

> I think they will do everything they can
> to keep their machines special, to keep their brand value.
>
> I would not buy Apple stock at this point, their plan seems extremely
> risky.

On the one hand, from the consumer PoV their new machines will not look much
different: cool looking, friendly machines that won't run Windows software.
OTOH, the PR issues and the logistical (and marketing) problems with the
actual transition could be *really* painful.  We live in interesting times...

Cheers,
Mark