RE: [Xen-devel] auto-installing debian on xen on debian withdebian-installer preseeding

  • To: "Philip Hands" <phil@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 22:42:32 +1000
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 12:41:28 +0000

Does the debian installer really not support lvm? I'm sure I've
installed debian with root on software raid + lvm before... maybe the
sarge version has less features than the one I used, although this was
between 3 and 6 months ago.

I'd use debootstrap in preference to the debian installer, but that's
probably just my preference, the installer might make the final config a
bit easier.

James

HOWTO-{PXE,CD,USB}.txt
> files, the details about the xen setup are described in the
HOWTO-xen.txt

> If people want to customise this to their own needs, they can either
grab
> copy and point the install media at their local server in the initial
> preseed,cfg, or they're welcome to have write access to the svk
repository
> where all this resides (once I work out a clean way of admin-ing
that).

> Anyway, feel free to have a play, and I'm very open to suggestions on
how
> to improve things.
>
> Things that are currently less than perfect:
>
>   Xen:  it would be nice to know how to access the other virtual
consoles
>         of a XenU domain from Dom0, so one could get at the shell if
an
>         install goes wrong.
>
>   debian-installer:
>       the current setup uses side effecting include-commands in a
>       positively abusive manner to set preseed variables under
scripted
>       control --- there must be a better way (or we should add one)
>
>       I'd like to be able to say "include this preseed file if it
exists,
>       but don't give me an error if it doesn't" or alternatively
"include
>       this file if it exists, otherwise include that one"
>
>       It would be nice to have a script run late enough in the
base-config
>       so that one could reboot (in this case for the first boot into
Xen)