Re: [Xen-devel] Running and 386 emulator on Xen

> I was wondering if it is theoretically possible to port an 386
> emulator (bochs for instance) to Xen and run an unported OS on top of
> that emulator.

Yup.  You'd probably want to use QEmu for speed.  However, I'm not sure this
has any advantage over just running your chosen emulator in a guest Linux:
it's still emulating everything, so it'll still be slow.

> Does an emulator running on top of Xen have to
> implement all device drivers itself or can it simply let the host
> access the hardware immediately?

It'd have to emulate the device seen by it emulated guest but it could then
use a standard virtual device driver (as used by all guests) in order to
satisfy IO requests.

HTH,
Mark