[Xen-devel] no digit beginning name?

In XendDomainInfo.py --> check_name() there is a restriction in place that a
domain can not begin with a digit.  If I comment out this check:

        if name[0] in string.digits:
            raise VmError('invalid vm name')

... I can start and stop a domain whose name starts with a digit just fine.  Is
there a reason this restriction is in place?

And actually, the way the logic goes here:

        if name[0] in string.digits:
            raise VmError('invalid vm name')
        for c in name:
            if c in string.digits: continue
            if c in '_-.:/+': continue
            if c in string.ascii_letters: continue
            raise VmError('invalid vm name')

... you could have "+-5ac" as a name but not "5ac".  (the intent is maybe "if
name[0] not in string.ascii_letters"?).

Anyhow, I'm using UUIDs, and currently (to avoid needing to patch Xend) just
stripping any incoming UUIDs of digits in the beginning, but this is a little
unsavory, so I was curious if it was possible to change it upstream if there is
no reason for the check?

Is there some use of the domain name I am missing that bars digits?

Thanks,
Tim

Another thing:

"+-5ac" works but actually when I tried "+-/5ac" (which passes the validity
check too), xm create fails with "Error: invalid domain:+-" and xm list reports
no dom0 but just this:

Name              Id  Mem(MB)  CPU  State  Time(s)  Console
Error: invalid domain:+-

Rebooting xend has no effect, needed to reboot the node.