Re: [Xen-devel] How is a file-backed FreeBSD filesystem mounted for a FreeBSD XenU?

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Daniel Hulme <dh286@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 10:20:57 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 09:19:44 +0000

> > I've been able to mount the /root.fs filesystem under FC4 ("mount -o
> > loop root.fs /debian.root"), but that doesn't work for the
> > /freebsd.fs file, even using the "-t ufs -o ufstype=44bsd" options.
> > I also don't know how to mount it on our FreeBSD systems.
>
> Just a guess: if the FreeBSD rootfs is sliced (BSD partitions) then
> won't  Linux have trouble mounting it?
The FreeBSD rootfs is indeed sliced. Note in /sbin/start_freebsd.sh that
it maps the filesystem to hda rather than to hda1 as you usually would.

> > 1) How is /freebsd.fs hooked to the FreeBSD XenU on the XenDemo CD?
> > If I know how this is done I can do a quick demo of a FreeBSD XenU
> > on our Linux FC4 system.
>
> The same way you'd hook a disk file to a Linux domU: add a
> 'file:/blah/blah/foo,target_dev,w' to the disks line in the config
> file.  I'm  not sure what syntax is supported for specifying the
> target dev for FreeBSD.   the FreeBSD config file on the demo CD
> should be useful as a template.

The demo CD uses some exciting DM snapshotting to produce a CoW
filesystem so it's probably not that useful as a config template. I'm
not a FreeBSD user myself, but if you want to give it a file on a proper
filesystem as file-backed storage, file:/freebsd.fs,hda,w should just
work AFAIK.

> I'd suggest that to start with you copy the filesystem image from the
> demo CD,

I'd agree with this suggestion, but the filesystem on the demo CD
doesn't appear to boot under Xen unstable at the moment. This could be
just me, though, I'll have to check it more fully.

HTH,
Daniel

--
"The  rules  of  programming  are  transitory;  only  Tao  is  eternal.
 Therefore you  must contemplate Tao before you receive  enlightenment."