Re: [Xen-devel] execve() in reboot.c ?

On Monday 25 July 2005 19:13, Rik van Riel wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005, Mark Williamson wrote:
> > It'd be nice if Linux had a generic way of communicating a reboot
> > request to userspace.  It ought to be useful on other VMMs - maybe this
> > is something for Rik's common infrastructure wishlist?
>
> How about simply reusing whatever signal is sent to init
> when ctrl-alt-del is pressed on PCs ?

Sounds good.  Something like this must be done for smart power button handling
in the ACPI code, so that might be a good place to refer to.

It'd be nice if we could communicate the difference between a reboot and a
halt request though.  Alternatively, the tools could just remember what we
"meant" the restart to do and do the right thing when the domain quits.

Cheers,
Mark