Re: [Xen-devel] Benchmarking Xen (results and questions)

David_Wolinsky@xxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi all,

Here are some benchmarks that I've done using Xen.

However, before I get started, let me explain some of configuration details…

Xen Version SPECjbb
WebBench
Linux Distribution Debian 3.1
HT disabled
Linux Kernel 2.6.12.2
Host Patch CK3s

Here are the initial benchmarks

SPECJBB WebBench
1 Thread 1 Client 2 Clients 4 Clients 8 Clients
BOPS TPS TPS TPS TPS
Host 32403.5 213.45 416.86 814.62 1523.78
1 VM 32057 205.4 380.91 569.24 733.8
2 VM 24909.25 NA 399.29 695.1 896.04
4 VM 17815.75 NA NA 742.78 950.63
8 VM 10216.25 NA NA NA 1002.81

(and some more notes…. BOPS - business operations per second, TPS - transactions per second…
SPECjbb tests CPU and Memory
WebBench (the way we configured it) tests Network I/O and Disk I/O

Values = AVG * VM count
Domain configurations
1 VM - 1660 MB - SPECJBB 1500MB
2 VM - 1280 MB - SPECJBB - 1024MB
4 VM - 640 MB - SPECJBB - 512 MB
8 VM - 320 MB - SPECJBB - 256 MB

Seeing how the SPECjbb numbers declined so bizarrely, I did some scheduling tests and found this out…

Test1: Examine Xen's scheduling to determine if context switching is causing the overhead
Period Slice BOPs
Modified 8 VM 1 ms 125 us 6858
8 VM 10 ms 1.25 ms 14287
8 VM 100 ms 12.5 ms 18912
8 VM 1 Sec .125 Sec 20695
8 VM 2 Sec .25 Sec 21072
8 VM 10 Sec 1.25 Sec 21797
8 VM 100 Sec 12.5 Sec 11402

Did you run each JBB test config several times to ensure consistent results? What JVM is this?

Would it be possible to format these more appropriately for email? I am having a little trouble reading this :)

Thanks,

-Andrew