Re: AW: [Xen-devel] PCI bus emulation?

[hiding PCI devices]
> A while back I had a look at this and it didn't look as if it would be very
> straight forward by just using arch specific code but probably doable using
> the hooks provided.

OK.  I personally think we could (one day) argue its utility to the PCI core
but we probably don't want to try and merge changes to that upstream at the
same time.

> > > and maybe 'program' the virtualized PCI bus of a driver domain
> > > to show these devices (through sending a message to the HV about what
> > > to present).
> >
> > I'd be inclined to have this purely implemented at kernel level using
> > interdomain comms, rather than having Xen know anything about it.
>
> I'm not entirely convinced that this is the right way to do. Once the
> devices are set up by dom0 xen wouldn't have to do that much and
> intercepting pci config read/writes in xen using the instruction emulator
> might be better and create less dependencies on Dom0.

How would config space writes work?  Does Xen 3 understand enough about PCI to
implement those itself?

> The code in Xen 2.x dealing with PCI config reads/writes by device driver
> domains is actually quite small. Extending this to use the instruction
> decoder should be quite straight forward and less complex than doing a PCI
> config space frontend/backend type thing. And it would make changes to
> guests smaller than they already are in 2.x

I did wonder if the PCI back/front could be implemented entirely using
communications in the store - that could make them simpler.  Requiring no
modifications to the read / write code would be a nice feature to have,
though.

Cheers,
Mark