RE: [Xen-devel] X86_64 Xorg Xfree86 issues

I am seeing this very same problem on a FC3 x86 machine, when Xen is
built with PAE=y. The problem does not happen when PAE is not set.

Partial test from /var/log/Xorg.0.log:

(II) Module vgahw: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
        ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 0.7
(**) I810(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
(==) I810(0): RGB weight 888
(==) I810(0): Default visual is TrueColor
(II) Loading sub module "int10"
(II) LoadModule: "int10"
(II) Reloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/linux/libint10.a
(II) I810(0): initializing int10
(WW) xf86ReadBIOS: /dev/mem mmap failed (Resource temporarily unavailable)
(EE) I810(0): Cannot read int vect
(EE) I810(0): VBE initialization failed.
(II) UnloadModule: "i810"
(II) UnloadModule: "int10"
(II) UnloadModule: "vgahw"
(II) Unloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a
(II) UnloadModule: "vbe"
(II) Unloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvbe.a
(II) UnloadModule: "int10"
(II) Unloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/linux/libint10.a
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

On Thu, 2005-08-04 at 09:55 +0100, Ian Pratt wrote:
>  > I am unable to load up Xfree86 or Xorg on a Xen64 machine.  I
> > have an I915 (descendant of I810) and I get these messages -
> > No V_BIOS found, VBE initialization failed...  Any suggestions
> > on how to get this fixed?  I have /dev/agpgart for I8xx
> > enabled as well as the DRM.
>
> Please can you run 'dmidecode'.
dmidecode output:

# dmidecode 2.2
SMBIOS 2.31 present.
57 structures occupying 2076 bytes.
Table at 0x000EF7D0.
Handle 0x0000
        DMI type 0, 20 bytes.
        BIOS Information
                Vendor: IBM
                Version: 2AKT45AUS
                Release Date: 08/30/2004
                Address: 0xE4540
                Runtime Size: 113344 bytes
                ROM Size: 512 kB
                Characteristics:
                        PCI is supported
                        PNP is supported
                        APM is supported
                        BIOS is upgradeable
                        BIOS shadowing is allowed
                        ESCD support is available
                        Boot from CD is supported
                        EDD is supported
                        ACPI is supported
                        USB legacy is supported
                        AGP is supported
                        LS-120 boot is supported
                        Smart battery is supported
                        BIOS boot specification is supported
Handle 0x0001
        DMI type 1, 25 bytes.
        System Information
                Manufacturer: IBM
                Product Name: 8187T8U
                Version: Not Specified
                Serial Number: KCCW8TC
                UUID: 4E03E8F2-1E29-3F7A-9F7F-7E741139431A
                Wake-up Type: Power Switch
Handle 0x0002
        DMI type 2, 8 bytes.
        Base Board Information
                Manufacturer: IBM
                Product Name: IBM
                Version: Not Specified
                Serial Number: Not Specified
Handle 0x0003
        DMI type 3, 17 bytes.
        Chassis Information
                Manufacturer: IBM
                Type: Desktop
                Lock: Not Present
                Version: Not Specified
                Serial Number: Not Specified
Killed

--------------------
On the console, this message shows up:

do_wp_page: bogus page at address b7f2c852
VM: killing process dmidecode

> Thanks,
> Ian

Regards,

David F Barrera
Linux Technology Center
Systems and Technology Group, IBM

"The wisest men follow their own direction. "
                                                        Euripides