Re: [Xen-devel] Question about VM save and restore

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Daniel Hulme <dh286@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 10:17:52 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 09:16:08 +0000

> Can I save a domain with domain name "A" and IP address "10.0.0.1",
> and restore it in the future with name "B" and IP address "10.0.0.2"?
> assuming we can deploy any software in this domain to help this
> change.

> Can someone tell me whether that is possible? If so, how to do that?
Well, if you can put any software in the domain: write a small script
that waits for a signal, and when it receives it, does an ifdown,
ifconfigs the new IP address in, changes the interface's MAC addresssets
the hostname, and does an ifup. All you have to do is make sure that
when you restore the domain you send it the magic signal through
whatever channel you like. It would probably be easier and safer if the
saved domain state had the network down, then you don't have to worry
about race conditions with two starting up at once and clashing for
addresses.

--
I went to the CO guess what he told me guess what he told me | apologies
He said  boy u better learn to like Win  no matter what u do | to Prince