Re: [Xen-devel] x86_64 SLES 9 SP2 build break

It seems that the x86_64 build still broken on FC4. It built on SLES 9, but I got the following error on FC4:

gcc -nostdinc -fno-builtin -fno-common -fno-strict-aliasing -iwithprefix include -Wall -Werror -Wno-pointer-arith -pipe -I/tmp/xen-unstable.hg/xen/include -I/tmp/xen-unstable.hg/xen/include/asm-x86/mach-generic -I/tmp/xen-unstable.hg/xen/include/asm-x86/mach-default -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -msoft-float -m64 -mno-red-zone -fpic -fno-reorder-blocks -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -DNDEBUG -DVERBOSE -c physdev.c -o physdev.o
cc1: warnings being treated as errors
physdev.c: In function âdo_physdev_opâ:
physdev.c:109: warning: pointer targets in assignment differ in signedness
make[3]: *** [physdev.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/tmp/xen-unstable.hg/xen/arch/x86'
make[2]: *** [/tmp/xen-unstable.hg/xen/xen] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/xen-unstable.hg/xen'
make[1]: *** [xen] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/xen-unstable.hg'
make: *** [world] Error 2

Nakajima, Jun wrote:

Ryan Harper wrote:
You need x86_64 to run ASAP, not HOTPLUG_CPU for x86_64 smp,
correct?
No, we _do_ need HOTPLUG_CPU for x86_64 smp. The build problem is
not a big deal.
Ah. OK.  I don't think it will be a problem for Xen, but currently in
plain linux-2.6.13-rc6 (which has x86_64 HOTPLUG_CPU support),
support is non-functional, at least on my two-way Opteron box.  I can
remove a cpu (echo 0 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online) fine, but
when I try to restore (echo 1), the processor fails to come back. Part of this is that they are integrating the physical hotplug
support which requires a full reboot of the processor (a second run
through do_boot_cpu()) since it would have been physically removed. I really wanted to see HOTPLUG_CPU work on plain Linux before
bringing the code into XenLinux, but the issues may be tied up in
code that Xen doesn't need.  The hypervisor will have to support
physical hotplug before XenLinux will need it.

That's right. As long as we handle VCPU, that should be Xen-specific and
common between x86 and x86_64 (although smp.c & smpboot.c are slightly
different there at this point).

There are some other subtle differences in HOTPLUG_CPU in the newer
2.6.13 series for x86_64 compared to the level of HOTPLUG_CPU we have
patched into the 2.6.12 tree.

I'll go ahead and work up a patch that brings in HOTPLUG_CPU for
x86_64 and share that so we both can work on getting it working.

Great.
Jun
---
Intel Open Source Technology Center