RE: [Xen-devel] [RFC] Cleaning up /proc/xen

  • To: "Anthony Liguori" <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 03:26:04 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 02:24:00 +0000

> I propose we do the following:
>
> Change /proc/xen/{privcmd,grant,xenbus} to character devices
> (that use random major/minors; we'll always access them by
> name).

Is this going to make having udev a requirement? (or would we also mknod
some entries in de as part of an install?)

I guess most distros have had udev for a while.

> We have a few options for /proc/xen/balloon.  We could:

> 1) Get rid of it completely--not sure it's a good idea but
> it's been suggested since it's redundant (in dom0 at least).
> 2) Move it to /proc/sys/
> 3) Move it to /sys/xen

I can't decide between 2 and 3.

BTW: Anthony, as regards you directory re-organisation patch, should we
be taking the opportunity to add a version prefix e.g.
/usr/lib64/xen-3.0/bin  ?
(also, does your patch use /usr/lib64/xen on x86_64 OK?)

I wander whether /etc/xen/scripts would be better off living under
/usr/lib/xen-3.0/scripts ?

Should the default place to look for config file be /usr/lib/xen-3.0/etc
which is normally soft linked on install to /etc/xen ?

I think the above three changes would enable you to have 3.0 and 2.0
tools installed in both x86_64 and x86_32 flavours all at the same time.

Thanks,
Ian