Re: [Xen-devel] extremely long xend startup time causing /etc/init.d/xendomains not to run?

* Sean Dague <sean@xxxxxxxxx> [2005-09-14 13:55]:
> I've started to notice the following issue, and would like to see if anyone
> else has seen it before digging too deep.
>
> When rebooting a xen system that has auto starting domains, they mostly
> don't start.
>
> On one system that tries to start 5 DomU instances, it appears only the last
> one (alphabetically) ends up starting.  On the system with only 2 DomU
> instances, nothing starts.  Neither of these are very speedy machines (700 &
> 800 Mhz respectively), so a timing problem with /etc/init.d/xend starting is
> probably exacerbated in this environment.
>
> Sanity confirmation on this would be really useful, so if anyone else has
> seen this please also post back. :)

I've seen this a lot when working bug#197 As the number of entries in
/var/lib/xenstored/store/domain/$uuid increase, the time for xend to get
up and running increases.  When I had over 500 stale uuid directories in
the store, it took several *minutes* for xend to full come up, and
/var/lib/xenstored was several hundred MB.

The only workaround I know is to:

/etc/init.d/xend stop
killall xenstored xenconsoled
rm -rf /var/lib/xenstored/*