RE: [Xen-devel] (no subject)

  • To: "Christian Limpach" <Christian.Limpach@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:20:41 -0700
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 19:19:31 +0000

> > > Please define LINUX_ARCH in buildconfigs/Rules.mk and use
> that where
> > > we run make ARCH=xen.
> > > If you can name your config file xen0_defconfig_ia64 and use
> > > LINUX_ARCH for the path, then you won't need to duplicate
> the config
> > > file code.
> >
> > OK, I see.  This cleans it up nicely. New patch attached.
>
> You have to export LINUX_ARCH to the script.  We don't want to
> unconditionally polute the environment of all the commands we
> run, so you'll have to add it to all the calls to mkbuildtree.

I'm not sure I follow... I don't know exactly how make or bash
work wrt to exporting... I didn't explicitly export LINUX_ARCH
but it seems to be known by mkbuildtree and all the mk.linux's
anyway.  (I successfully built for x86 and ia64 with the
patch.)

Or are you suggesting I *not* define it in buildconfigs/Rules.mk
so as to avoid polluting the environment?

> I think I'd prefer xen-mkbuildtree-{pre,post} as the name of
> the scripts
> to run, but not too fussed about that...

That's OK with me.  If enlightenment (is that a bad word in
Xen land now?) from the above requires me to re-generate
the patch, I will change the names.

Thanks!
Dan