Re: [Xen-devel] changeset:6989 vm sticking around in shutdown state

On Thu, 2005-09-22 at 06:57 -0700, Dan Smith wrote:
> TK> I cloned the config with a new name and the domU was recreated.
>
> This brings me back to the topic of renaming stuck domains.  It seems
> to me that having the tools prevent you from re-creating a domain just
> because a shell of the domain is stuck will get annoying.  Admins may
> end up cloning a config file and tweaking the name several times to
> get the tools to allow recreation of one of their domUs without having
> to reboot the host.
>
> I know that the domains *shouldn't* get stuck once everything firms
> up, but can't we have the tools be more user-friendly if the problem
> does arise in a production environment?
>
> How about adding a "force" flag to "xm create" that would rename any
> stuck domains so that the creation can proceed?

Sound like a good starting point, you thinking about appending an
instance to the name?

I am of the mindset that something like allow creation with the same
name, but invalidate the old one or vice versa. This would also keep
track of how many times such an issue occured on a particular domU.

xm list
Name              Id  Mem(MB)  CPU VCPU(s)  State  Time(s)
Domain-0           0      182    -      2   r----    970.7
debian             3      128    -      2   -b---    502.4
debian.1           3.1      0    -      2   ---s-     91.1

xm list
Name              Id  Mem(MB)  CPU VCPU(s)  State  Time(s)
Domain-0           0      182    -      2   r----    970.7
debian             3        0    -      2   ---s-    502.4
debian.1           3.1    128    -      2   -b---     91.1

I am still rather green with this, but from a dumb ___ admin/user
perspective this would be very helpful :-)

Regards,
Ted