Re: [Xen-devel] Cannot create domU

On 24 Sep 2005, at 11:54, Chris Bainbridge wrote:

I just tried echo /sbin/hotplug > /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug and it
works! Woohoo! I can now mount the virtual device. So... there is
something wrong with either xen or udevsend that should be fixed. I
have no experience with hotplug, but if someone can point me in the
right direction I'll try to debug.

As I understand it, there are two standard locations for hotplug scripts. One is a directory called /etc/hotplug.d/<name>, the other is a file called /etc/hotplug/<name>.agent.

We moved our script to the latter location, as we found that to work across debian, suse and redhat distros (unlike /etc/hotplug.d). You'll probably find that udevsend is a shell script -- take a look and see if it tries to do any hotplug stuff.

I guess it's possible it is looking in /etc/hotplug.d. If so it really ought to be updated. Alternatively, some distros have /sbin/hotplug search in /etc/hotplug.d, but they add a script to /etc/hotplug.d/defaults/ which also searches in /etc/hotplug/. That gives you the benefit of searching in both locations.

Anyway, I think it's gentoo's udevsend that is at fault here. Every other distro we know of searches /etc/hotplug/ these days.

 -- Keir