Re: [Xen-devel] can't boot dom0

On 5 Oct 2005, at 19:32, Chris Bainbridge wrote:

Ah-ha! So it looks like you need CONFIG_X86_UP_IOAPIC or SMP to get it working.

Bug 1) xen with non apic kernel is broken
Bug 2) compile error with CONFIG_PCI_MSI

Trying to boot an SMP system with a non-APIC domain0 is a recipe for disaster. We depend an awful lot on domain0 to get interrupt routing correct. If Xen has booted an SMP system, probed IO-APICs and so on, domain0 needs to have the same world view.

The 'bug' is really that we don't make it harder for people to shoot themselves in the foot in their configuration. Possibly forcing the APIC options is the way to go, or at least indicate that setting them to N is DANGEROUS.

As for bug 2, it's known. We don't support MSI yet. It's on the cards after things like some measure of stability and a domU interface freeze.

 -- Keir