Re: [Xen-devel] SMP and VCPU migration.

> I am working on SMP for xen-ia64.  The first step was to be able to use all
> the cpus but without considering VCPUs migration ie VCPU must be pinned to
> one CPU.
>
> Is it the same policy on x86 ?

They can be repinned (Stephan wrote a CPU rebalancer for this purpose) but
this should only happen periodically: i.e. there's not a global work-stealing
scheduler on a per-scheduler-period basis, a balancer has to come in
periodically and move the vcpus about.  Presumably on IA64 you'd just need
different time constants to avoid thrashing.

Can you manually repin VCPUs on IA64?  That's a handy feature to have, even
without the automatic balancer.

Cheers,
Mark