Re: [Xen-devel] libxenstat python bindings

Travis Vachon wrote:
> I seem to be having a little trouble with libxenstat, and was wondering
> if the xenstat guys might be able to help.
>
> I've pulled the xen-unstable.hg tree and done a somewhat clean install
> (ie, post-make uninstall, as well as deleting the relevant libxenstat
> libraries).
>
> Next, I entered the tools/xenstat/libxenstat directory and modified the
> Makefile so that the shared libraries would be installed. I've included
> my Makefile below.
>
> I ran:
>
> make
> make install
> make python-bindings
> make install-python-bindings
>

> Next, I started a python session and entered:
>
> import xenstat
>
> and got the following output.
>

>>Python 2.3.5 (#2, Sep  4 2005, 22:01:42)
>>[GCC 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-13)] on linux2
>>Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.

>>Traceback (most recent call last):
>>  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>>  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages/xenstat.py", line 5, in ?
>>    import _xenstat
>>ImportError: /usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages/_xenstat.so: undefined
>>symbol: xenstat_init
>
> Any thoughts?

You have modified the makefile to install into the prefix /usr/local,
but /usr/local/lib is often not included in the default library search
path; this may be the cause of your problem.  If so, you can either add
/usr/local/lib to the default search path by editting /etc/ld.so.conf,
or you can install into the prefix /usr which will put the libraries in
/usr/lib.

Also, as Anthony pointed out, keep in mind that xenstat will not be an
officially supported public interface in Xen 3.0.  It may become such an
interface in the unstable tree after 3.0 is released.  However, don't
let that stop you from making use of it, and feel free to ask if you
need any additional assistance.

- Josh Triplett