[Xen-devel] udev

I have a problem mounting filesystems in a Xen3 domU. Often
some device nodes are missing. Am i right, that normally udev
creates the needed device nodes? It seams now, that udev in a
domU does not work correct. Or has anyone a solution, why
some devices are missing?

# ls -l /dev/hda*
brw-r-----  1 root disk 3,  1 Oct 18 11:19 /dev/hda1
brw-r-----  1 root disk 3, 11 Oct 18 11:19 /dev/hda11
brw-r-----  1 root disk 3, 14 Oct 18 11:19 /dev/hda14
brw-r-----  1 root disk 3,  8 Oct 18 11:19 /dev/hda8

Even if i try to create the missing device node with the
mknod command, i cannot mount it.

# mknod /dev/hda3 b 3 3
# mount /dev/hda3
mount: /dev/hda3 is not a valid block device

Appending the needed devices in /etc/udev/static_devices.txt
does not help.

Here is my domU configuration:

# cat inhouse | grep -v ^#
name    = "inhouse"
memory  = 2048
maxcpus = 1
kernel  = "/boot/vmlinuz-xen"
ramdisk = "/boot/initrd-xen"
vif  = [ 'mac=aa:cc:00:00:00:01, bridge=xenbr0' ]
hostname = name
disk = [ 'phy:xenvg/inhouse-root,hda1,w',
         'phy:xenvg/inhouse-cdb,hda2,w',
         'phy:xenvg/inhouse-comserver,hda3,w',
         'phy:xenvg/inhouse-docarchive,hda4,w',
         'phy:xenvg/inhouse-home,hda5,w',
         'phy:xenvg/inhouse-journal,hda6,w',
         'phy:xenvg/inhouse-mailserver,hda7,w',
         'phy:xenvg/inhouse-pos,hda8,w',
         'phy:xenvg/inhouse-pub,hda9,w',
         'phy:xenvg/inhouse-srv,hda10,w',
         'phy:xenvg/inhouse-tmp,hda11,w',
         'phy:xenvg/inhouse-transfer,hda12,w',
         'phy:xenvg/inhouse-usr,hda13,w',
         'phy:xenvg/inhouse-var,hda14,w',
         'phy:xenvg/inhouse-swap,hdb1,w',
         'phy:xenvg/susedvd,hdc1,r' ]
root    = "/dev/hda1"
extra   = "3"

I have no hda devices configured in my dom0.

Now i'm looking very puzzled, because on every restart of my
domU there are other hda devices missing. Does anyone know
how to solve this problem?

Stephan