Re: [Xen-devel] Network-bridge script with bonding and vlan

On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 12:34:40AM +1300, Greg Brackley wrote:

> I'm trying to get the latest x86_64 development release running with eth0 &
> eth1 bonded (using 802.3ad) with VLAN support.  I am trying to get a VLAN
> support running with the intention of putting each domU on its own VLAN.
> Given that the dom0 machine won't have an IP address on any of the domU
> VLAN's, there should be reasonable network isolation between the domains.
>
> I can get the bonding/vlan configuration working on a machine without Xen.
> However I am having troubles getting the VLAN interfaces bridged correctly
> to the xen0 and xenU domains vif interfaces. I'm unsure as to which
> interfaces should have what MAC address, and/or how to do that.

Firstly, I would wait for the new network-bridge script to be pushed, or at
the very least use the one that Kurt Garloff posted to the list yesterday.

The topology we use is, in domain 0:

eth0 in dom0, virtual device, good IP address and physical device's MAC

(loopback)

vif0.0, virtual device bound to bridge, no IP, fake MAC

xenbr0, bridge interface, no IP, fake MAC

peth0, physical device, no IP, fake MAC

and for the guest domains

eth0, virtual device in guest domain, good IP address, and random MAC

(interdomain connection)

vif<domain id>.<device id>, in domain 0, bound to bridge, no IP, fake MAC

xenbr0, peth0 as above.

The physical device starts of as eth0, and then is renamed to peth0 by the
network-bridge script.

All the routing points at the interface with a good IP address.

The fake MAC address we use is FE:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF, which is this value for
reasons of compatibility with STP, but I don't understand this, I just do as
I'm told ;-)

HTH,

Ewan.