[Xen-devel] unconditionally enable the trace buffer

  • To: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Rob Gardner <rob.gardner@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 10:40:18 -0600
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 16:37:32 +0000

Last month Mark Williamson sent out a patch to unconditionally enable the trace buffer. I'd like to suggest that his patch be accepted and merged. I have performed some simple benchmarks to quantify the overhead associated with the trace buffer and calls, and found a negligable performance loss due to them. The actual number was .069%, and was gotten by timing a simple cpu-intensive task running with trace buffers compiled in and again with trace buffers not compiled in. It's important for us to have the trace buffer functionality totally enabled by default, so we can depend on its availability for running XenMon without requiring recompiling and rebooting.

Thanks,
Rob Gardner (HP)