Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Xen 3.0 for OpenBSD

> > Using OpenBSD should be possible under VT.
>
> Probably true for those with new Intel VT-enabled processors. I will be
> getting an  AMD processor which has Pacifica, which is not identical in
> features to  Intel's VT. So I have doubts about running OpenBSD in virtual
> mode on  AMD64-Pacifica unless specific support for Pacifica is present in
> Xen.

There'll be Pacifica support in Xen, it's just not fully baked yet.

> I expect to run an *unmodified* OpenBSD using Xen's hardware support for
> virtualization via Pacifica. I hope I am not living in airborne castles!

Unmodified BSD / Linux / Windows should run fine under hardware-supported full
virtualisation.

> > Personally, I've observed quite a lot of hostility to Xen among OBSD
> > community people, largely due to what I'd call "religious objections",
> > which is a shame.
>
> You are not alone! And not just about Xen either! I ignore it.

Heheh :-)

> I think the OpenBSD developers are focused upon server enhancements.
> I think they will get much more interested in Xen if they see a use for
> it in OpenBSD server operations.

Yup.  We'll see what happens...  People running an OS under full
virtualisation helps make the case for adopting paravirtualisation support.

Cheers,
Mark