Re: [Xen-devel] iSCSI problems

Edwards, Nigel (Nigel Edwards) wrote:

Hi,
I am having problems getting iSCSI working with xen. I can access
iSCSI drives fine from Xen0 (e.g. untar a 500MB archive and I don't
see problems reported through dmesg or /proc/kmsg). However, if I try
to project them into an instance of XenU as a scsi device to boot the
unprivileged domain I get an oops in Xen0 - often resulting in the
whole machine crashing.  This occurs in the very early stages of boot
of xenU.

I am using linux-iscsi-4.0.2 for iscsi_sfnet.ko
scsi_transport_iscsi.ko is being built in linux-2.6.12-xen0
I downloaded xen-unstable-src.tgz October 25th.

I notice that there appear to be some significant differences between
scsi_transport_iscsi.c in linux-iscsi-4.0.2 and the version in linux-2.6.12 kernel.

Example oops below. I have also attached the domain config file. I am
not sure what to do next to get this working.  Any suggestions would
be appreciated. If you have iSCSI working, if you could drop me a note
indicating what code and modules you are using I would be very grateful.

Cheers,
Nigel.
Having played with this I would suggest that you use iSCSI in Dom0 and export the disks from Dom0 to the varios DomU's. I have managed to get this working with the aid of some hacks to the UDEV configuration files so that I can get a deivce entry like /dev/magical-iscsi-targetname.my.fun.domain.com.
It is then easy to map these things into the approprate DomU configs.

I would be concerned about using iSCSI in the DomU's because of the extra network overhead in propigating the data across the bridge.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   voice: (416)585-9971
Interlink Connectivity        ||   fax:   (416)585-9974