RE: [Xen-devel] Question on xc_gnttab_map_grant_ref()

  • To: "NAHieu" <nahieu@xxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "King, Steven R" <steven.r.king@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 13:21:45 -0800
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 21:22:07 +0000

I've been looking at xc_gnttab stuff lately too and the current
implementation is incomplete.  For example, I don't see a way to acquire
a grant reference from user space, so the xc_gnttab functions taking a
reference are unusable.

IMO, grant references are kernel level implementation details that
should not be exposed to user-mode anyway.  Instead, user-mode needs
IOCTLs to share pages with a remote domain and to map those shared pages
within the remote end.  If the kernel implements this functionality with
grant tables, then great; in the future it may do something else.  I
hope to have a patch to offer for this eventually.

-steve