RE: [Xen-devel] OpenIPMI on dom0

  • To: "Andrew D. Ball" <aball@xxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 09:33:08 -0000
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 09:33:23 +0000

> So, the BMC I have is on port 0xca8 instead of the default
> 0xca2.  There's code in
> linux-2.6.12-xen0/drivers/char/ipmi/ipmi_si_intf.c that is
> supposed to read the SMBIOS tables to find out from the type
> 38 structure what the actual BMC address is.
> This code uses isa_memcpy_fromio() to read memory from
> 0xf0000 to 0xfffff, and appears to read all 0's, even though
> in user-space I can use mmap() on /dev/mem and find the
> SMBIOS entry point in that address space.

I presume you're using xen-unstable?

The dom0 kernel should have the bottom 1MB of machine memory mapper at
PAGE_OFFSET (3GB) so isa_memcpy_fromio should work OK. Are you sure its
not trying to read from a tale above 1MB? In which case you'll need to
ioremap it.

> so something else appears to be wrong here too, other than
> isa_memcpy_fromio()'s only reading 0's from reserved memory
> blocks.  The code to initialize a BMC starts in the
> init_one_smi() function in
> linux-2.6.12-xen0/drivers/char/ipmi/ipmi_si_intf.c .
> I think this code tries to send and write bytes from IO ports
> using inb() and outb() and don't know whether these are known
> to work with Xen or not.

inb/outb should work just fine, providing they are not to ports which
Xen already owns e.g. COM1, RTC, PIC etc. Xen shouldn't be interfering
with the BMC.

Ian