Re: [Xen-devel] can't start domU

On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 01:59:25PM -0600, Steve Dobbelstein wrote:

> > <43751EDA.80304@xxxxxxxxxx>,
> > Nivedita Singhvi <niv@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > [snip]
> > >
> > > All of these are failures to create the vif devices.
> > > Please check /var/log/messages, xend- debug.log, etc.
> > > You can put a set - x in your /etc/xen/vif- bridge (or equivalent)
> > > script for more verbose detail.
> > >
> > > Also, check to see that your install went successfully.
> > >
> > >  From previous debugging over the past week, most of
> > > these cases were the lack of brctl (or execute perms
> > > for root), or the lack of other utilities (make install
> > > should catch these).
> >
> > The obvious stuff looks good:  The install went okay; brctl exists; all
> > scripts are executable.
> >
> > I'll look more closely at the bridge script.
>
> Has anyone found a solution to this problem?  I'm seeing the same thing but
> didn't want to just post a "me, too".
>
> My domU config file does not have a "vif" entry; the defaults are fine for
> me.
>
> /var/log/messages, /var/log/xend-debug.log, and /var/log/xend.log don't
> contain any additional information; they look the same as the ones on a
> system that is working.
>
> I added lines to /etc/xen/scripts/vif-bridge:
> echo "Turning debugging on"
> echo "turning debugging on">/tmp/vif-bridge.out
> set -x
>
> I don't get any debug output upon running "xm create".  I don't get a file
> /tmp/vif-bridge, so it appears that vif-bridge isn't even called.
>
> hotplug is at version 058.  I tried the "echo /sbin/hotplug >
> /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug" trick, but that didn't help.  Besides, the system
> that works is also running hotplug 058 and it has /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug
> set to /sbin/udevsend.
>
> Apparently something is not creating the vif for the domain.  I have been
> crawling through the xend scripts to try and figure out where vifs get
> created in hopes of finding some clues as to what is going wrong, but being
> barely a python newbie I get lost in the code.  :(  (Time to add another
> programming language to my skill set.)

Have you tried today's changeset?  There have been plenty of changes in this
area in the last week, and a few today.

What distro?  (Not that this will help, but it seems a good idea to keep track
of problematic distro versions.)

Does /sbin/hotplug or /sbin/udevsend run at all?

If so, does it make it as far as /etc/hotplug/xen-backend.agent?

If so, how about /etc/xen/scripts/vif-common.sh?

What do you get if you run

PYTHONPATH=/usr/lib/python python /usr/lib/python/xen/util/diagnose.py <dom ID>

Thanks for your help,

Ewan.