Re: [Xen-devel] Catch crashing domains with GDB

On 2005-11-16, 10:42, Ian Pratt wrote:
> > I'm using Xen-unstable updated a few days ago, and I'm trying
> > to debug an OS which I'm porting to Xen. I'm using the
> > gdbserver to debug domU, and while this works fine I'm
> > wondering if it is possible to have the debugger catch the
> > domain crashes, i.e., if I crash the domain it would be nice
> > if I could check the backtrace etc from within GDB.
> >
> > Is this possible?
>
> "on_crash = preserve" should keep the domain hanging around -- I'd
> imagine you'd be able to get gdb to give you a backtrace from there.

Ah, I see. However, I tried adding that to the domain config, and the crashed
domain is preserved:

  [ska@cb mini-os]$ sudo xm list
  Name                              ID Mem(MiB) VCPUs State  Time(s)
  Domain-0                           0       64     1 r-----  1121.3
  test                              56       32     1 --p-c-     0.1

and I can also attach the gdbserver to the domain (with gdbserver-xen
localhost:9999 --attach 56), but when I try to attach to the gdbserver with
GDB I only get

  (gdb) target remote localhost:9999
  Remote debugging using localhost:9999
  Couldn't establish connection to remote target
  Remote communication error: Connection reset by peer.

and the gdbserver then exits with

  Remote debugging from host 127.0.0.1
  Child exited with status 0
  GDBserver exiting

. Debugging works fine if I attach with the domain paused on startup. I've
tried both gdb 6.2.1 and Debian Sarge's 6.3 version and both exhibit the same
behaviour.

--
// Simon