[Xen-devel] question about VM outperforms physical machine on a micro benchmark

Dear all,

I ran a small program to test the popen() function call performance on both a VM and a physical machine. The program just does a loop of popen() for 20 times and records the total execution time. The host of the VM has the same hardware configurations as the physical machine. The VM and the physical machine both have 2.6.11 kernel. The 20 popen() loops run for 0.453s on VM 0.690s on the physical machine. I will appreciate if you give me some insight of what cause the disparity.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Best,
Xuehai