RE: [Xen-devel] Hotplug scripts not working... xen/ia64 domU stopped working

  • To: "Ewan Mellor" <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 12:49:02 -0800
  • Cc: Xen Mailing List <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 20:48:55 +0000

Sorry for the delay.  I reinstalled from scratch and started
searching from the last working version.  (See status below.)

> > I don't have a /var/log/debug or /var/log/syslog and
> /var/log/messages
> > is unrevealing.  Do you mean xend.log and xend-debug.log?  If so,
> > attached (along with my very simple xmdefconfig).
>
> No, I really meant /var/log/messages -- the hotplug scripts
> log there, and you
> usually see hotplug or udev events going through there too.

Definitely no hotplug or udev events going into /var/log/messages.

> If you're not seeing any hotplug script logging at all you
> are going to have to
> trace the hotplug event until you find out where it
> disappears.  Start with
> cat /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug.  If that's udevsend and
> udevinfo -V reports
> greater than 059 then you are using udev, so check that
> /etc/udev/rules.d/xen-backend.rules is in place, otherwise
> you are using

cat /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug shows /sbin/hotplug

> hotplug, so put logging into /sbin/hotplug (usually a script)
> and /etc/hotplug/xen-backend.agent.  Either way, you'll need
> logging in
> /etc/xen/scripts/block.

By "put logging into" do you mean adding a '-x' at the end
of the first (bin/sh) line?  If so, where is the logging going?
(not to the console nor to /var/log/xend.log...)  Sorry...
it's been awhile since I've done script debugging and it's
definitely a lot different than hypervisor debugging :-}

with the "Hotplug scripts not working" message.  This narrows
the field considerably.  Cset 8043 and 8049 look suspicious.
For 8043, I thought maybe there is a dependency on the newly
added arch_memory_op call, but flagged that for ia64 and it
doesn't appear to be the case.  Cset 8049: This isn't intended
to stop use of a disk-in-a-file via the loopback driver, is it?

The xend.log and /etc/xen/xmdefconfig are the same as the last.
I'm building 8048 now (takes about an hour).

Thanks for all the help.  I'm getting closer...
Dan