Re: [Xen-devel] Hotplug scripts not working... xen/ia64 domU stoppedworking

On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 03:03:54PM -0500, Dave Thompson (davetho) wrote:

> [...]

The log you've sent is for a successful run of the scripts setting up the
vbd.  This is a little odd, because the Xend log you sent showed the vif
succeeding and the vbd failing, so you've managed to have at least one
successful run of each.  Could you run it a few times, and see if it's
intermittent?  For each of the devices, vif and vbd, you should see at least
one line each of

+++ logger -p daemon.debug -- /etc/xen/scripts/block: add
XENBUS_PATH=backend/vbd/2/2049

in your xen-hotplug.log.  If you aren't seeing one each of those then your
hotplug system is failing before the scripts even get a chance to run (or your
drivers are failing).  It would be good to confirm whether the hotplug events
are even getting through, so that we don't end up looking in completely the
wrong place.  Start with "cat /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug".  If that's udevsend
and udevinfo -V reports greater than 059 then you are using udev, so use
udevmonitor to watch the udev events going past.  You should see an "add"
event for both vif and vbd, plus an "online" event for the vif.  Otherwise you
are using hotplug, so put

set -x
exec 2>>/var/log/xen-hotplug.log

at the top of /sbin/hotplug (usually a script) and
/etc/hotplug/xen-backend.agent.

Cheers,

Ewan.