[Xen-devel] Re: [linux-usb-devel] Error recovery in Xen's paravirtualizing USB driver for Linux

On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 11:20:35AM -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
> Part of the problem is that the stub drivers on the back-end are forced to
> bind to USB interfaces instead of USB devices.  It would make life simpler
> for you guys if the stub driver could bind to the entire device (replacing
> the usb_generic driver).  Do you think that's worth pursuing?

My first reaction to this is NO!  The usbcore has some tricks it plays
with knowing stuff about the usb_generic driver (basically it uses it as
a flag to prevent bad things from happening in driver core callbacks.)

But in thinking about it some more, this might be the best solution for
all virtual bus implementations like this one, and the USB over IP
stuff.

Who knows, vmware could probably also use this to help their
implementation out, if they want to write GPL code :)

thanks,

greg k-h