Re: [Xen-devel] Running scripts at domain creation/destruction?

On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 05:05:08PM -0800, John Byrne wrote:

> Are there any hooks for running generic scripts/apps in domain 0 when a
> domain is created or destroyed? I don't see any such thing in
> xend-config.sxp.

Not per say.  This wouldn't be difficult for you to add though -- Xend has all
the information you need, so you just need to take a start-up and shutdown
script from the domain configuration, call the former on creation of the domain
(asynchronously, I presume), write the latter in the store for retrieval
by Xend, and then call it on domain destruction.

Alternatively, you could write your own tool (in Python or C would be easiest)
and watch the store in the same way as the other tools do, waiting for watches
on @introduceDomain and @releaseDomain.

> Taking it back a step, my desire is to have something in domain 0 export
> the xen console via VNC. The reason for wanting to be available via VNC,
> is that we expect Anthony Ligouri's frame buffer work (or something) to
> eventually provide a VNC virtual console for para-virtualized domains.
> If and when that happens, our tool for viewing consoles remotely will
> continue to work.
>
> Assuming that this is at all viable, does any have a piece of code for
> libvncserver that might be useful as the interface between xenconsoled
> and VNC?

I'll let others answer, as I don't know the specifics, but I do know that the
VMX guys use VNC, and I believe that VNC is used on the Xen demo CDs, so there
should be enough code lying around for you to get the bits that you need.

Ewan.