[Xen-devel] Re: Xend vnet support to be removed

On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 10:33:33AM -0600, Tim Freeman wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Dec 2005 16:20:47 -0000
> "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > Unless someone speaks up, Xend vnet support will be removed.
> > > It is broken, unused, and unloved (as far as I know).  This
> > > is the xm vnet-list, vnet-create, and vnet-delete commands,
> > > as well as all the Xend support behind that (XendVnet.py,
> > > SrvVnetDir.py, plus plumbing in xm/main.py and XendClient.py).
> >
> > That's a shame, but unless someone steps up to maintain it then I'm
> > agree it makes sense to pull it.
> >
> > We should certianly hide it from the usage message. Perhaps we need a
> > special environment variable or command line option to un-hide broken or
> > under-development features? I think this would be generally useful.
>
> We'd appreciate this approach if it is not hard to do. vnet is a useful
> technology, I'd hate to see it less accessible.

Tim,

Are you using it in Xen 3.0?  Given the lack of checkins since Sept, it
wasn't obvious if it still worked.

I think that features that hidden are bad for everyone though, as no one
maintaining the code knows if it works or not, or knows what to do to avoid
breaking when changing other code.  It will just end up in bit rot.

It should either be documented, or removed IMHO.  Either are good choices.
The first one does need a volunteer that understands it though, and someone
to step up and maintain it.

        -Sean