Re: [Xen-devel] RE: signed-off-by

Ian Pratt wrote:
Thanks for the patch, but please can we have a signed-off-by: line

Just for the record, what is the significance of a 'signed-off-by'? Is it something that hg generates or something that you just manually type into the email when you submit a patch?

I was just throwing up a page on submitting patches to the Xen project:

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/SubmittingXenPatches?action=show

I'd appreciate it if the Xen maintainers could take a look
and correct if needed. It has a link to the site referred
below that explains what the Developer's Certificate of Origin
is.

thanks,
Nivedita

The signed-off-by: line should be added by hand and is used to track the
provenance of patches. Please see
http://www.osdl.org/newsroom/press_releases/2004/2004_05_24_dco.html

Unless a patch is utterly trivial we need it signed off before we can
accept it.

Thanks,
Ian

Developer's Certificate of Origin 1.1 =====================================

By making a contribution to this project, I certify that:

(a) The contribution was created in whole or in part by me and I have
the right to submit it under the open source license indicated in the
file; or

(b) The contribution is based upon previous work that, to the best of my
knowledge, is covered under an appropriate open source license and I
have the right under that license to submit that work with
modifications, whether created in whole or in part by me, under the same
open source license (unless I am permitted to submit under a different
license), as indicated in the file; or

(c) The contribution was provided directly to me by some other person
who certified (a), (b) or (c) and I have not modified it; and

(d) In the case of each of (a), (b), or (c), I understand and agree that
this project and the contribution are public and that a record of the
contribution (including all personal information I submit with it,
including my sign-off) is maintained indefinitely and may be
redistributed consistent with this project or the open source license
indicated in the file.