[Xen-devel] -xen config...

  • To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 10:58:35 +1100
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 00:01:09 +0000

I've just noticed that with the 3.0.0 -xen config, ext2 appears to be
compiled into the kernel, but ext3 is only present as a module.

If I use a domU without a ramdisk (as I have been doing), it's not going
to have the ext3 module loaded at boot time and therefore won't mount
the root filesystem as ext3. This may be part of the reason I've been
getting filesystem corruption...

Is there any reason that ext2 is set as 'y' while ext3 is set as 'm'? It
seems to me that they (and the other 'common' filesystems) should be the
same...

Going against the grain of making everything modules, maybe most of the
'common' filesystems should be compiled into the -xen kernel? On the one
hand, an initramfs is a bit of an overkill if all it's doing is loading
in a filesystem module... but on the other hand, we do it for just about
every  other kernel in the linux world!

Comments?

James