Re: [Xen-devel] Guide to building linux-2.6-merge.hg

* Philip Van Hoof (spam@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> Is there a guide or little howto building (and installing) the
> linux-2.6-merge.hg repository? I successfully build the vmlinuz image,
> do I need to build a XenU kernel too?

Depends on your goals.  Regardless you'll need to build xen from
xen-unstable.  Build a xenU if you want to run a guest (in addition to
dom0).

> I'm interested in learning about and following the latest developments
> of Xen. It's not for production usage. Whether or not things will work
> isn't very important. But it would be nice if I could in the end add a
> "hello world" and watch it being displayed, if you know what I mean (I'm
> going to play and do silly things with the code).

The -merge tree is in enough flux that you may prefer xen-unstable for
something that boots and runs well enough for your "hello world" example.

> I'm most likely going to start reading the install.sh of the other
> repositories. But I was wondering if there's a guide available which
> would make it possible for me to skip that step ... ;-)

Sorry, the linux-2.6-merge tree is just linux/xenlinux, no
xen/tools/etc.

> If I'm using the wrong repository, it would be nice if somebody could
> point me to the correct one.

The xen-unstable.hg repo might be the best one for you.

thanks,
-chris