Re: [Xen-devel] Uses of &frame_table[xfn]

On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 03:29:18PM -0800, Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort
Collins) wrote:

> On a related note, I'm not clear on the relationship between
> the "memory" variable in xmdefconfig and the two reservation
> variables needed for ballooning (not sure what they are named,
> but call them max_reservation and initial_reservation).  Which
> of these latter correspond to "memory" in xmdefconfig and how
> does the other get determined?

For unprivileged guests, Xend sets both the maximum and current reservation to
the configured "memory" value, when a domain is created.  Subsequent calls to
xm mem-set set the current reservation, and leave the maximum alone.  Calls to
xm mem-max set the maximum (and reducing the maximum without thought is a good
way to crash your guest).

For dom0, the initial values are set from the kernel command line, and the
current reservation is altered if memory is needed for domain creation,
migration, etc.

Ewan.