Re: [Xen-devel] xen and reboots

On 29 Dec 2005, at 23:56, James Harper wrote:

Following up to my own post... it looks like in xen/arch/x86/domain.c
there is a variable called 'reboot_mode', which is written to physical
address 0x472 on reboot to tell the BIOS what to do. This would contain
0x1234 to do a 'warm' boot, and 0 (or anything else???) otherwise. But
nowhere in the xen directory can I see this variable get initialised...

Any ideas?

Xen's reboot code is a dumb rip-off from Linux. Some of the parameters for choosing type of reboot are not 'wired up'. What's there now seems to work on the vast majority of systems. I don't understand how different reboot triggers in domain0 can have an effect on whether the system actually reboots or not. I believe the Xen reboot code is unaffected by guests.

 -- Keir