RE: [Xen-devel] Support for AGP aperture as IOMMU in AMD64 mode [2/2]

  • To: "Keir Fraser" <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Langsdorf, Mark" <mark.langsdorf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 18:10:11 -0600
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 00:18:22 +0000

Some of those change are definitely Xen specific, such as the
switch from virt_to_phys() to virt_to_bus around line 416,
and the switch from __get_free_pages to alloc_gatt_pages near
line 740.  Similarly, I had to introduce some hypervisor calls
to get the true size of memory so that the GART is enabled even
if dom0 has less than 4 GB of memory.

> A few things I can see are: why disable call to e820_mapped()?

Couldn't get the implementation of e820_mapped() to work right,
and missed I had the debug statement in there still.  Any ideas
on what I'm doing wrong in e820_mapped?

> virt_to_gart/gart_to_virt should be moved to our agp.h if we
> want to keep them. Alternatively you only use them a couple
> of times so expanding them at the call site would be okay.

Done.

> You unconditionally allocate a table to the 'gatt' variable, but
> only set the agp_gatt_table variable if it is NULL. Should
> you free the table if agp_gatt_table!=NULL? Can that ever happen,
> and if so why not on native?

agp_gatt_table is set in the AGP code on native.  I can't figure
out why Xen isn't setting it right, hence the work-around.

Looking at that code again, the else statement makes no sense and
should probably be removed.

> The big patch you sent out we also need to go through in some detail.
> It's rather bigger than I would have expected. Hopefully
> there is some possibility of cleaning up and keeping things closer
> to the native original source files.

Most of the big patch is adding 3 mostly unmodified files
from arch/x86_64/kernel to arch/xen/x86_64/kernel.  The
rest of the code changes are pretty minor.

If you want, I can restructure the patch to reflect -
submit 1 patch to add pci-dma.c, pci-gart.c, and
aperture.c, and another set of patches to reflect the
incremental changes to those files.  Would that help?

-Mark Langsdorf
AMD, Inc.