RE: [Xen-devel] xen source files and linux coding style

  • To: <ncmike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 11:10:54 -0000
  • Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 11:19:37 +0000

> Due to my recent experience submitting a linux patch to lkml,
> I have become more knowledgeable wrt linux coding style :)
> I've noticed a couple of things in Xen and Xen-linux that we
> should consider changing during normal development in
> preparation for the upstream merge.

Our intention is that the coding style used for the linux sparse tree
(and merge tree) should certainly be consistent with that of the rest of
linux. This includes the front/back drivers.

However, xen has never used linux style. We've always used BSD style 4
space tabs for xen and the tools. I believe the tree to be in a
reasonably consistent state with respect to coding style, at least for
x86. [there are however a handfull of files that are so closely derived
from linux that we've left the original formatting to make diffs
easier.]

I personally don't find having a mix of coding styles in the tree
problematic, and make edits consistent with the rest of the file. The
emacs mode directives in many of the files make this even easier.

Ian