RE: [Xen-devel] RE: New Release Process

  • To: "Paul Larson" <pl@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 22:10:49 -0000
  • Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 22:19:57 +0000

> I agree that skipping 2.6.15 and going straight to the 2.6.16
> latest rc kernels would be a good thing, however I'm confused
> about one thing (or more likely I'm just dense).  Are you
> looking at pulling in one of the alternate kernel hg trees on
> xenbits, or just manually updating the sparse tree to
> 2.6.16-rc1.  We have the 2.6.16 subarch merge tree, the
> 2.6.16 merge tree under ext, and the hvm tree under ext also.
>  Is one of these going to become the new basis for the sparse tree?

We'd generate a sparse tree for -unstable from the linux-2.6-xen.hg.
It's easy to keep the two trees in sync using a simple script. Having
the sparse tree is still useful for the moment as it enables us to tie
together xen and tools versions with a particular dom0.

> Another question this brings up: what is the process for
> syncing relevant changes and fixes between sparse, 2.6 merge,
> 2.6 subarch, and the hvm tree?  Is there any plan to
> consolidate these?

hvm will be checked into -unstable, and effectively becomes obsolete.
linux-2.6-xen.hg will be kept in sync with -unstable using scripts.
ext/linux-2.6-merge.hg is where all the linux merge tidyup work is going
on, and will be updated manualy.

Ian