Re: [Xen-devel] Unmodified Windows etc on XEN 3.0 with Intel/VT or AMD/Pacifica

Mark Williamson wrote:

You would either use the vnc connection, but I wouldn't suggest that as its
very slow and for me has mouse problems.

I'm not sure to what extent VNC is to blame, and to what extent it's the display device model. Using the normal X Window might improve this a bit, but the current display emulator will never win any speed awards.
Xvnc makes use of high-level operations (which is why it's a full-blown X server). QEmu doesn't pass any of that info via it's DisplayState API (even though it does emulate those high level operations). If libvncserver was provided that info, it would make a noticable impact on VNC performance.

The mouse is going to be a problem. As long as we emulate the CL, there's not much hope here (if you sacrifice some chickens, I'm told you can convince X to use the monochromatic hardware cursor but I've not been successful myself). An enterprising chap could implement touch screen emulation. This would make the mouse a bit more sane under VNC but it will still appear choppy.

If you use SDL, set the resolution to 1024x768, set the depth to 24 bit, and enable full hardware acceleration in Windows performance should be pretty good.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori