[Xen-devel] pcnet32 device eth0 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Jonathan M. McCune" <jonmccune@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 17:42:01 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 22:53:47 +0000

Hi,

I'm trying to bring up an HVM guest with networking support, but I cannot get the guest to recognize an ethernet interface. The guest is rhel5, and I'm running Debian linux dom0 on top of xen-unstable-hvm changeset 8724.

Running `/etc/init.d/networking restart` gives:

Shutting down loopback interface:                          [  OK  ]
Setting network parameters:                                [  OK  ]
Bringing up loopback interface:                            [  OK  ]
Bringing up interface eth0: pcnet32 device eth0 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization.
                                                          [FAILED]

I have tried several stock 2.4 redhat kernels, and I have built a 2.6.12 kernel and taken care to include the pcnet32 driver. The config file for the guest domain contains the line:

vif = ['']

`lspci` inside the guest does not show any ethernet interface.

I'm not sure what to do to enable networking.
Thanks,
-Jon