Re: [Xen-devel] Hypercall-page initialization

  • To: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Jacob Gorm Hansen <jacobg@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 19:04:46 +0100
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 18:15:42 +0000

On 2/7/06, Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We can make the hypercall for filling the page one that can be executed
> by unpriv domains (i.e., make it not a dom0_op).

That would be fine with me, though I guess purists would argue that it
would remove some flexibility, e.g. int 0x82 (or another hardcoded
trap vector) would have always have to be supported.

> Or if you want to fill it in from within the domU, how about if we did
> something like reserve some space of MSRs for Xen use (e.g., hex
> Bxxxxxxx). Then we could say that, if the guest writes an MFN to a
> particular one of those MSRs, it gets filled with hypercall-page
> goodness. :-)

Hmm would that work in paravirt mode also? I guess Xen would trap the
exception and do the right thing? I suppose this has the advantage of
avoiding any hardcoded trap vectors.

>   -- Keir

Jacob