Re: [Xen-devel] A migration framework for external devices

ncmike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 02/08/2006 05:32:07 PM:

> > how
> >> So an underlying assumption would be that the local and remove real or
> >> virtual devices support serialize/deserialize of state, correct?
> >
> > Yes, that's correct.
>
> Would also  be very cool if the framework had pre-migration hooks. For
> example, allow someone to write a plugin to verify that the target host
> is qualified and in a good state to accept a migration  before it
> actually starts.

It should be possible to do that as long as it is definable what 'good state' means.

> Also, some physical devices may need to be configured/re-configured on
> the target prior to a migration (infiniband, fiber channel, iscsi) and
> it would be good to have plugins for that as well.

Again, this also sounds good to me.

Another question is whether an extensible protocol exists that could be recycled for this purpose or we have to build something from ground up.

  Stefan