Re: [Xen-devel] Very poor VMX performance

Casey Jeffery <kcjeffery@xxxxxxxxx> wrote on 02/09/2006 11:52:03 PM:

> After several days of problems, I finally got Xen 3.0.1 set up in
> Ubuntu Breezy with the 2.6.12 kernel on a VT-enabled system with an
> Intel 930 processor and 2GB of memory.
>
> I have been able to install an unmodified guest without any issues
> other than performance. The guest runs extremely slowly and the
> mouse and keyboard are all but useless because of the extreme lag.
> I've tried multiple viewers (vncviewer 3.3, 4.0, and tightvnc), as
> well as low color depths. I am currently using a file-backed image
> file, as was recommended in the user's manual, but I don't know of
> any other item that could be causing such poor performance. I don't
> see anything about this in the archives and am open to any suggestions

Are you running Xen in x86-64 mode ?  We found that the performance
of unmodified guests on x86-64 Xen is very slow, mostly in the video
area.  However, if you run unmodified guests in pure 32-bit
Xen (x86-32), then the guest performance is quite acceptable - for
both Windows and Linux guests.  Some have noticed that the guest
performance is a bit better using SLD (instead of vnc).  Of course,
"acceptable" is in the eyes of the beholder :-)

Regards,
Khoa