[Xen-devel] Re: [RFC, PATCH 0/24] VMI i386 Linux virtualization interface proposal

On Monday 13 March 2006 12:30, Zachary Amsden wrote:
> It is an advantage for everyone.  It cuts support and certification
> costs for Linux distributors, software vendors, makes debugging and
> development easier, and gives hypervisors room to grow while maintaining
> binary compatibility with already released kernels.

It certainly is good for kernel developers and end-users.

However, it would be a foolish distributor or ISV who tests with one
hypervisor and decides that covers all hypervisors which implement the same
interface. So I'm not sure there's any advantage w.r.t. support and
certification costs.

--
Hollis Blanchard
IBM Linux Technology Center