[Xen-devel] Re: [RFC, PATCH 0/24] VMI i386 Linux virtualization interface proposal

Rik van Riel wrote:
On Mon, 13 Mar 2006, Zachary Amsden wrote:

About performance - I actually believe that it is possible to implement VMI Linux in such a way that it actually has _better_ performance on Xen than the current XenoLinux kernels.

How would VMI allow page table batching at fault time?
(one of the future optimizations that are probably worth
making for Xen)

This is exactly what we do. All page table transitions from P->NP or P->P already require a flushing call (FlushTLB or InvalPage). The remaining transitions, NP->P require explicit flushing, and we have added the appropriate call sites to do so. It turns out, the external MMU cache on Sparc provided exactly the required hook point in this case - update_mmu_cache().

Zach