RE: [Xen-devel] [Patch] time resolution fix.

Keir:
        Before this patch, we saw 2 issues:
        One is when a VM switch happens at  HVM guest within PIT
Interrupt Service Routine (ISR) time. There exist problem if we let
guest see time jump in TSC (TSC is used to adjust PIT). Previously
hypervisor try to minimize the jump seen by guest, but the resolution is
one PIT period that is not enough. (TSC_OFFSET=0-pending_intr_nr
*period). This situation is worse in IA32E.
        The second issue is that when HVM/SMP is enabled, APIC time
calibration want to see a TSC duration of about 100000000 cycles so that
ACPI timer frequency can be calibrated with IRQ disabled. This is
un-achievable in previously code. Because at that time the guest IRQ is
disabled and no PIT IRQ injection, thus guest time is frozen. Due to
that, the guest can never see 100000000 cycles passed (TSC is frozen)
and thus stuck there.
        Another benefit of this is that we can get much accurate guest
calibration result that is previously a known issue on multiple VM case,
and it is long time too.

        I have a much detail description in the attached slide, hope
this helpful.
        BTW, due to SMP support and more time resource support (RTC and
ACPI), we are planning to do some design modification to sync all those
different kind of time. This patch is mainly for bug fix that exist for
long time and block SMP effort.
thx,eddie